Rss Feed

Paranormalcy: Review

Title: Paranormalcy
Author: Kiersten White
Release Date: August 2010
Published By: HarperTeen
Pages: 335
Goodreads Rating: 4.08 stars


Review: Evie works for the International Paranormalcy Containment Agency, her best friend is a memory, her ex-boyfriend is a fairie, her crush is a shape-shifter, and she's the only human who can see through glamours, but she still considers herself normal. That is, until paranormals are mysteriously dying and she may be the center of a dark prophecy that ends in death for all. So much for normal.

I know, I know, I'm the last person in the world to read PARANORMALCY. I've been meaning to get around it forever, and now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long, because this book is awesomeness wrapped in - wait for it - even more awesomeness. One of the best aspects of this book was Evie. She was a kick-ass and witty heroine with a healthy dose of snark who was still unapologetically feminine, and her narration could make a story about glue drying fascinating.

There was also, as the synopsis hinted, a romance budding in these pages, and the affection building up between Evie and Lend was cute, and I enjoyed reading about it. It wasn't exactly hot or swoon-worthy, but that doesn't mean it's bad, and different types of romances are right for different types of books. In this case, it was completely perfect because I tend to dislike it when romance swallows up the paranormal aspects of paranormal romances.

I only have one complaint about this book and that would be the plot. Don't get me wrong, I loved the plot, but I did have some issues with pacing. For the most part, it was fine and developing along at a nice pace, but then all of a sudden at the end, the whole thing with Vivian was just sort of shoved in and it felt a bit rushed to me. It got (more or less) resolved rather quickly, and that did kind of bother me and detract from my reading experience.

Still, PARANORMALCY was one wild ride of a book, and I enjoyed every moment of it. Evie is an amazing character with a snarkalicious personality and unabashed girliness, not to mention the cuteness of her developing relationship with Lend, and the plot was full of mysteries and twists. I had my quibbles with pacing here and there, but other than that, I would recommend this to everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! I really need to get around to reading the second one! Thanks for the great review :)

Mimi Valentine said...

I ADORE this book! I wanted to get more out of the romance too, but I have to admit that is was extremely sweet. Love Lend! :)

Awesome review, Izzy!

Post a Comment