Rss Feed

The Carbon Diaries 2015: Review

Synopsis: It's January 1st, 2015, and the UK is the first nation to introduce carbon dioxide rationing, in a drastic bid to combat climate change. As her family spirals out of control, Laura Brown chronicles the first year of rationing with scathing abandon.

Will her mother become one with her inner wolf? Will her sister give up her weekends in Ibiza? Does her father love the pig more than her? Can her band the dirty angels make it big? And will Ravi Datta ever notice her?

In these dark days, Laura deals with the issues that really matter: love, floods and pigs. The Carbon Diaries 2015 is one girl s drastic bid to stay sane in a world unravelling at the seams. 


Details: "The Carbon Diaries 2015" by Saci Lloyd, 384 pages, 3.43 stars on Goodreads

My Thoughts: I picked this up because I loved Life As We Knew It and I thought this would be similar. Although I still liked Carbon Diaries 2015, I must admit I was rather disappointed by it. While bad things certainly happened to Laura and I liked her as a character, the book wasn't very dark. It didn't provoke much emotion in me at all, other than wondering what I would do if I was Laura. Perhaps it was just me, but I really felt like I was merely reading her story rather than getting emotionally involved with it and the characters. At times I admit that I was a little bored and my attention kept drifting. 


However, this is not to say I didn't enjoy the book. Laura's voice sounded like an authentic teenager (I don't know many British schoolgirls so I can't say whether or not she's authentically British), and I appreciate that her diary entries did actually sound like entries and not an excuse to narrate through a different format. I liked that she remained strong throughout all the bad stuff that was happening, and the romance could be really sweet at times. 


To be honest, though, the main reason I like the book is the concept. It's definitely worth a read if only for the ideas introduced regarding what may happen to use in the dismayingly near future if we don't shape us soon. 3 smilies out of five.

0 comments:

Post a Comment