Rss Feed

Best of 2011

Well, it was inevitable. I knew I'd be compiling a Best of 2011 post, and I knew it'd be ridiculously long (no way I can confine myself to 5 or even 10 books!), and here it is: Best of 2011, Super-Long Edition, in roughly chronological order with excerpts from reviews.

The Space Between The Trees by Katie Williams. Beautiful, gorgeous, and completely different from any other book I've ever read. This is one that you read slowly and savor along the way, and it's not something that will appeal to every reader.


Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales. A fun and hilarious read! Leila Sales is fast becoming one of my favorite authors for a pick-me-up with deeper messages than a 'typical' chick lit book.


Divergent by Veronica Roth. I mean, seriously, it's Divergent. Who didn't absolutely fall in love with this book? I honestly haven't read a negative review yet.


Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. A brilliant book that's guaranteed to put you in a good mood. This is teen romance at its best, and I loved every page of it.


Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers. Beautiful writing, beautiful story, what more is there to say?


Where the Truth Lies by Jessica Warman. Raw, gritty, and honest. This is dark contemporary that's hard to swallow and hard to bear but so completely worth it.


This Girl is Different by J. J. Johnson. This book is different. In a good way. No, scratch that, in an amazing, incredible way.


Jersey Tomatoes are the Best by Maria Padian. A heart-warming story about two best friends that still manages to stand out from stories with similar themes.


How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford. A masterpiece that has absolutely earned its place in my top five all-time favorites. Even the print book itself is beautiful.


Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard. Words can't even describe how gripping, how deep, how real and beautiful and amazing I found this book to be. This is the rare book I want to read over and over again.

Nothing But the Truth by Justina Chen Headley. Love, love, love this book and I would recommend it to everyone but especially fellow half-Asians.

Past Perfect by Leila Sales. Well, I already said why I love Leila Sales' books, and rest assured, the same applies to this one!

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King. Beautiful, wrenching, and honest contemporary novel. Anyone who loves YA or wants to get into it should pick this up.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. My new favorite book of all time. It was slow and atmospheric, and worth every single beautiful word.

King Dork by Frank Portman. Refreshing, unique, and just an immense stand-out on the shelves. It has some profanity and isn't a good book for more conservative readers, but it's definitely something I would recommend to everyone else.

Everybody Sees the Ants by A. S. King. I loved King's first book and now I love the second. A. S. King is fast becoming one of my favorite authors.

Bunheads by Sophie Flack. I love ballet books, and this one really stands out by showing the gritty side of it. It was honest, perceptive, and an absolute pleasure to read.

What were your favorite books of 2011? Do you agree/disagree with any of these?

2 comments:

Danna (Bananas For Books) said...

Fall For Anything was one of the first ARCs I read and I absolutely loved it! Anna was also a really good one, but I'm surprised to see The Space Between Trees on your list. I guess it's like you said, it doesn't appeal to all readers. Great post!
-Danna

j.j. johnson said...

Thanks for the love! -j.j.

Post a Comment