Rss Feed

How Fast Do You Read?

I tend to read a bit faster than average, but certainly I'm not as fast as some of my friends or fellow book bloggers, so I was intrigued when I found the Staples Read Speed tool. The test is pretty simple: it gives you a short passage that you read at your normal speed, and when you're done, you hit "finished". Bam, there's your reading speed.

According to this test, I read 482 words per minute, which is 93% above the national average. This means I can read War and Peace in 20 hours and 18 minutes, The Lord of the Rings in 16 hours and 33 minutes, and the Grapes of Wrath in 5 hours and 52 minutes (...although reading it certainly felt like a lot more than that...).

How many words per minute can you read?

6 comments:

Annette Mills said...

I got 446 wpm. I know I skim a lot when I'm reading books, especially if it's an "easy" book to read. I'm sure I'd read War and Peace or some other literary works or non-fiction much slower. So much depends on the writing...

Interesting test. Thanks.

fakesteph said...

I got 293, which is 17% faster than national average, but I've always felt like a really slow reader! Thanks for sharing this. So fun.

Catherine@thebookparade said...

I got the exact same score as you - 482 words per minute, 93% above the national average!
I did always used to think I was quite a fast reader but recently I've felt like I've been getting slower and I didn't think I read that passage particularly fast...definitely didn't expect to get such a high score!
Such a fun and interesting test - thanks so much for sharing! :)

We Heart YA said...

We're each gonna take the test, but we can tell you now, Kristan reads slow, Ing and Steph read faster than average, and Sarah is freaking lightning. (Sometimes Kristan gives her books to Sarah to read first and then tell her if it's worth the time, lol.)

It's a fun little test though, thanks for sharing!

barmybex said...

WOW, that was awesome, this was mine:
"You read 617 words per minute.
That makes you 147% faster than the national average."

WOW, seriously, never knew it would be that much. I'm a reading machine!

barmybex said...

P.S, thanks for sharing this. It's awesome.

Post a Comment