Here today for the Wanted tour is the author, Heidi Ayarbe, with a Tens List AND a giveaway! Here's what she has to say!
10. I love the SCBWI community and community of children’s writers, bloggers, librarians, reviewers and more. What wonderful, open people that inspire me and keep me going.
9. I make good cappuccinos and lattes. (A skill all writers should have.)
8. I love “what if” … the basis of all great stories. What if, for example, a high school bookie starts to gamble … and lose? What if a high school soccer star had OCD, and was trying to keep the secret from everybody? What if a young girl’s father is sent to prison, and her only hope of not going into foster care
is finding a long lost aunt? What if a 15-year-old boy shoots and kills his best friend?
7. I miss the Oxford comma.
6. Reading has been one of the greatest joys of my life – getting lost in the magic that unfolds between the covers of a book.
5. I love creating people in words that I wish I knew in real life.
4. I love the challenge. I haven’t had to work my brain so hard ever. Writing, I believe, is learned – a skill we have to work on every day to get better. I don’t believe in that whole muse-inspirational thing. I do believe that some people have a vocation for it, but to write, you need to work your tail off and become a master of the skills needed to pull a novel together.
3. I learn every day because everything … I mean EVERYTHING … has to be researched from the time the sun rises in Nevada in October to how many steps it takes to run one and a half miles if you’re a 5’10” adolescent boy running approximately seven-minute miles.
2. I love words. The difference between vehement, fervent, passionate and intense matters to me.
1. I get to spend all the time I want with my daughters. I have to work really REALLY weird hours, of course, but it’s the best exchange ever. (My brain doesn’t go mushy from talking about, well, the inappropriate body functions four-year-olds love to talk about … All. Day. Long. because I get to use it for other, perhaps less gross topics, after hours.)
And now for the giveaway! Up for grabs is a swag pack and a signed copy of Compulsion!
a Rafflecopter giveaway