Rss Feed

Carrier of the Mark: Review

Title: Carrier of the Mark
Author: Leigh Fallon
Release Date: October 2011
Published By: HarperTeen
Pages: 342
Goodreads Rating: 3.65 stars


Review: As soon as Megan starts at a new school in Ireland, she finds herself inexplicably drawn to the darkly handsome Adam DeRis. At first she thinks it's just a crush, but the closer she gets to him, the more she finds that the ties connecting them have supernatural origin, and the passion and power uniting them might be the very things that result in their destruction.

CARRIER OF THE MARK is a bit of an odd book for me to review because as some of you may know, it was originally put on the online writing community, Inkpop. I used to be a very active member of that, and so I read and gave a critique of an early draft of this book. It was actually quite intriguing to read through and see the revisions the author's made since.

The smoothness of this final draft was quite impressive, but I still have some quibbles with the story. As many other reviewers have mentioned, the plot of this book is rather formulaic and has a similar storyline to other paranormals. I don't mind plots that loosely follow formulas and add other original elements, but that wasn't really the case here. This book just didn't truly bring anything new to the table.

Another aspect that bothered me was the insta-love. A pet peeve of mine is when two characters instantly fall in love, even when it has some paranormal-related explanation. I like to see a more complex relationship forming, and that didn't happen here. Additionally, I never felt like I got to know Megan very well nor did Adam appeal very much beyond the physical factor.

As much as I hate to say it, CARRIER OF THE MARK just reminded too much of, well, Twilight. I won't go into full detail but there were countless similarities beyond the supernatural insta-love deal, and the story just wasn't able to hold my attention very well. I didn't feel like I got to know the characters to much depth, either. Leigh Fallon is a talented writer, but the storyline here just didn't work. I do look forward to picking up other books of hers after this trilogy completes.

2 comments:

Natalia Belikov said...

I agree with you in everything you said, that's why I gave this book also a 2 stars in goodreads XD.

great review!


Check out my giveaway! 3 winners and 12 hot YA titles from where you can choose from! ^_^
My Giveaway!

Happy reading!
Dazzling Reads

We Heart YA said...

Thanks for the review. We're sorry to hear that it doesn't bring anything new to the table, but we imagine that a number of other readers won't mind that. So, it's great that you're being honest and letting people know what to expect. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Post a Comment