Rss Feed

Choosing What to Read

If you're reading this blog post, chances are you like to read in general, which  means you have a strong interest in books and thus know a lot of them. So my question is, how do you choose what book to read next?

For me, it's come down to a question of practicality. I have a to-read list that tops 500 books, a tumbling pile of library books in the corner of my room, over 20 review books on my Kindle, and a stack of physical ARCs on my desk. There's no way I can choose from this many books every time I need to pick up another one, so I resort to a system.

I cycle through the oldest Kindle book, the oldest physical ARC, and then two of the oldest library books. And as for the library books themselves, I go in order of my to-read list when reserving them.

So... how do you choose what to read next?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, lordy girl! I don't know how you'll ever choose either! How do you keep track of which is oldest? I keep my reading stack small - no more than 10 or 12 at a time and usually fewer! Giant stacks just overwhelm and make me watch tv :)

Jillian said...

I usually just read based off my mood. Sometimes lists don't do it for me.

Melody said...

Similar to you, I go by the oldest in the queue (though mine is mostly limited to library books alone). But it also depends on what I just read. I'm discovering that reading two dystopians in a row is a bad idea, as is reading two books with guy narrators, two chick-lit books, and an over-amount of fiction. (I occasionally insert a historical narrative just to keep myself sane, haha.) Anyway, that's how I pick! :)

Alyssa said...

Usually it depends on my mood... unfortunately I'm always in a certain mood when I go to the library, so I always end up getting way too many of the same sorts of books and then getting sick of them!! Haha. :) And 500 books... ack! That's crazy!

Caleb J. Ross said...

A few months ago I created a Facebook poll asking how do readers choose books?. I was surprised to find that most readers still look to the physical parts of the book (cover and title) when choosing a book. I've always been most interested in the author and recommendations from friends.

Cialina at Muggle-Born.net said...

I'm definitely a mood reader. I do prioritize my review books, but I always bump up books that I'm in the mood for in my TBR pile. Reading won't be fun if I have to force myself to read. (that's what's school is for)

We Heart YA said...

Mostly we read what we're most excited about. Sometimes that builds up, so yes, we end up with big TBR piles. But it helps that between the four of us we can usually recommend books that the others will enjoy, or DE-recommend books that the others shouldn't waste their time on.

After recommendations, it's blurb, cover, author, etc. Then mood.

After that, hype, but it can be a double-edged sword, because too much hype is a turnoff.

Post a Comment