Rss Feed

Crossed: Review

Title: Crossed
Author: Ally Condie
Release Date: November 2011
Published By: Dutton Juvenile
Pages: 367
Goodreads Rating: 3.51 stars

Review: Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in desperate search of Ky, only to find him missing with a series of clues left in his wake. As she follows them, whatever certainty she's gained in her life is severely shaken by an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander who, even after all this time, conflicts her. Nothing is as is expected on the edge of Society.

I was a little nervous to start CROSSED because I loved the prequel, and I was worried this book wouldn't live up to it. Luckily, it turned out I had nothing to worry about, because this book was just as awesome - and arguably more so - than its predecessor, no matter what the surprising amount of negative reviews I've seen say about it.

I'd forgotten how gorgeous Ally Condie's writing is when I began reading this book, so the pure poetry of her words was definitely a pleasant surprise. Every sentence she penned flowed smoothly into the next with a simplicity that managed to have a resounding effect. Honestly, she could have been writing about grass growing and I would have cried for the grass's tortured adolescence.

It's amazing how the author is able to make us care so much about the characters. I found myself aching for Cassia and Ky, longing for them to finally be together and dying a little on the inside at every obstacle that came between them. This book struck the right balance between action and romance, managing to show a wonderful romance without compromising the actual story.

Apart from Cassia and Ky, a brand new cast of characters rose up, with faces like Indie making an appearance, and I loved them all. Each had a unique personality and added something incredible to the story, fleshing this trilogy out into something more. Indie in particular was fierce and determined, and I ended up rooting for her quite a bit.

All in all, CROSSED was everything I hoped it would be and more, as cliché as it is to say it. Condie's writing was poetic and beautiful, and I cared - possibly far too much - for each and every character traipsing throughout this story. All I can do is recommend the heck out of this book as strongly as I can and wait anxiously for the final book in the trilogy.

6 comments:

fakesteph said...

I stopped reading it, but since you like it so much, I think I'll pick it back up. I was probably just trying to read it at the wrong time.

Karen said...

I have both Matched and Crossed waiting to be read. I'm happy to hear that people are liking the second book as much as the first.

Julia @ That Hapa Chick said...

I still need to read this one! I thought Matched was good but overly angsty. I'll definitely have to give Crossed a chance though if you liked it so much. :)

Angela's Anxious Life said...

I liked Cross a lot.. though it did feel like a filler book to me. Probably books two and three could be one book!!

Angie

Jillian said...

I really want to read this one soon. I enjoyed the first book, though it wasn't necessarily a favorite of mine. I do like dystopians so I'd like to give it a try.

We Heart YA said...

Hm. We've heard mixed things about Crossed so we've been afraid to pick it up, but like you, one of our fave parts of Matched was Condie's lovely writing, so your review gives us hope that we'll like Crossed too!

Post a Comment