Rss Feed

Book Blogger Hop (2)

Book Blogger Hop is held over here. If you don't do this and you have a blog, you definitely should because it brought me almost ten new followers, and I started following eight new fantastic blogs!

Every week there's a question, and this time it's:

Do you use a rating system for your books, and if so, what is it and why?
 
 
I use a rating system of smilies (they're so much more friendly than stars, because stars are pointy and therefore dangerous), just a simple 1 through 5. I've been considering switching to one of those percent ones, but I think a 1 through 5 is better. With a 1-5, you can use the whole scale (like a 2-star book), but I've never seen someone with a 1-100 give a 40% except for really bad books. (This is also why some people think there should be a better scale for letter grades in public schools so that teachers can use the entire scale and don't have to put "fluff" questions in tests to make sure most people get higher than 50%, instead of just the hard ones. But anyway.) My scale is roughly this:
 
5 stars: The kind of book that you keep thinking about over the next few days, one that's really memorable and you can safely call a favorite. I try to give this out sparingly.
4 stars: The kind of book that you really liked but didn't touch you quite as much as a 5-star one. 
3 stars: The kind of book you liked but could have been better in some areas, and isn't very memorable.
2 stars: The kind of book that's okay but not something you quite liked.
1 star: The kind of book that was so bad you couldn't even finish / you had to drag out over a much longer time than usual.
 
If you're hopping by, welcome! :) Please leave a comment so I can hop over to yours!

18 comments:

Erika said...

Hi, Izzy! I found you through the hop, and I'm now a follower. We seem to read a lot of the same books! And I love the line "stars are pointy, therefore dangerous." It totally cracked me up!

Have a lovely weekend!

Erika
Erika Breathes Books

Kathy Habel said...

Stopping by on the hop. I'm a new follower.
Kathy
I Am A Reader, Not a Writer

Howard Sherman said...

Happy hop Friday!

I find ratings useful in the book reviews I read but don't use a rating system in the book reviews I write.

Am I backwards book blogger or what?

Jen said...

Hi! I found you through the Hop -- read some of your older posts, and am now a new follower. I look forward to reading what's next! :)

Anonymous said...

Hopping by to say hello. Good luck with your writing. Have a great weekend.

Lindsey Richardson said...

Hopping by and I'm a follower.
Sadly I do not usually rate books on my blog but on the rare occasion where I feel I MUST rate a book I use the whole 1-5 stars. 1 being never read this and 5 being you should buy this book and read it a thousand times over.
Hope you'll hop over to my blog!

Happy writing,
LReneeS

Ava said...

Hi! Stopping by from the hop and I'm now following your blog! I must say the title of your blog interested me :)

Have a great weekend!

Ava

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm blog hopping and enjoying it! I hope your haing a good day... your blog title caught my attention! I'm following now..

feel free to come visit... http://acozyreaderscorner.blogspot.com

Tammy said...

Hey there! Just dropping by on the hop. I agree, stars are pointy so one should also not run with them. hee hee. Have a most excellent weekend! PS I'm a new follower!

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Hey, I'm here from the hop! Cute blog title.
Have a great weekend, and happy reading!

Emidy
from Une Parole

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm stopping in via the Hop! I'm a new follower.

Stop by my blog, if you like. It's at www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

Caitlin said...

Hey, stopping by from The Hop! I'm a new follower :)

I also have agiveaway going on at my blog. If you have the time come over and visit!

http://scarrletreader.blogspot.com/

have a great weekend!

danya said...

Hi, just stopping by through the hop! Sounds like we have a similar rating system :)

Janna said...

Visiting via the Hop. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Janna
http://www.primoreads.com/

Belinda said...

Happy Saturday!! I use the star system too but I'm thinking of revamping it though. Lots of great comments on the Hop this week. Hope you have a fun weekend planned :)Now following

Come by and visit when you have time
http://thebookishsnob.blogspot.com

bibliophiliac said...

Hi, I'm stopping by on the hop! For myself, I don't like grades or rating systems--I just try to write a good review! Your blog looks great, I look forward to reading more!

Steph from fangswandsandfairydust.com said...

Oh my gosh that line (because stars are pointy and dangerous) is so funny I would follow even if it weren't a hop. I don't use any system of rating, I will use a rating to make a point once in a while -- saying it is a scotch bonnet on the hottness scale. Some times I just rate b/c I think people can conclude on their own what I mean -- at least I hope they can. Stop on by: I have a US Canada contest happening: Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com

KIKA said...

coming through via blog hop! am now a follower :) hope you have a good weekend!

TheBookBluff

Post a Comment