Rss Feed

Book Blogger Hop (28)

This week's Book Blogger Hop question is...

What makes you keep reading beyond the first few pages of a book, and what makes you want to stop reading a book and put it back on the shelf?

In general, it takes a lot to make me not read beyond the first few pages. I like to give books a decent chance, and I usually make myself get to around page 100 before I drop it. However, if I find the writing in the book to be extremely unpolished or the characters to be extremely irritating in a way that was unintended by the author, then I just drop it.

For example, I once read the first book in a series I won't name (not a very popular one in any case) and I just found it impossible to read. The prose was immature and felt more like a biased social commentary than a story, and the main character annoyed me to the point that I couldn't bear to read past page 20. Other than that, though, I will usually read on in a book.


6 comments:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I keep reading a book not matter what for the most part. I might set it aside and come back to it but I have a thing about finishing things.

Dani @ Refracted Light said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Izzy! Sounds like our reasoning behind dropping a book is pretty similar. And I also hate when a book feels too preachy. I think there's a way to express a viewpoint without bashing your audience over the head with it...repeatedly...lol

Kaye M. said...

Hey Izzy! Thanks for stopping by! I'm now following you. (By the way, one of my dear friends also uses the nickname Izzy.)

Karen said...

I used to NEVER put down a book once I started it but with so many books in the TBR there have been a few recently that I just gave up on. I'm trying to be more discriminating with what I pick up in the first place.

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. Well now I'm curious about what series you're talking about. I hate diatribes.
PS. What are you thinking about The Geeks Shall Inherit The Earth. I didn't think there was anything earth-shattering in it but it was enjoyable.
My Hop

fakesteph said...

I usually try to push through, too. It's only been in the last year that I've allowed myself to put down books I'm not enjoying. And that's only because my apartment is really small and overcrowded with books, which made it very obvious that I'm never going to be able to read all the books I want to, so I might as well put down the ones that just aren't for me.

Post a Comment