Rss Feed

Follow Friday (16)

This week's question is...

What is the worst book that you've actually read and finished?

In general, I try to stay away from being overly critical of books on my blog, so this isn't the worst book I've ever read, but I was very disappointed by the House of Night series. I read the first book and found it hard to get through. The writing was flat and unpolished, and I felt like a lot of the authors' judgements about people worked their way into the narrative. By this, I mean that the main character went out of her way to condemn drugs, alcohol, sex, etc., practically every other page, which became grating and preachy. Zoey in general just really irritated me. However, the plot did have some potential and could be interesting at times.

If you're new to my blog, welcome! I'm Izzy :) Please drop your link in the comments so I can return the favor!

8 comments:

Girl Who Reads said...

Hi! I like books that make me think about different points of view, but I don't want to be preached at.

Girl Who Reads

Lindsay said...

Old follower, stopping in - have a wonderful weekend :)

Lindsay
http://everydayadventure11.blogspot.com

LoveOfBooks said...

Hi! I'm a new follower. I have read this series...yet ;)

Have a great weekend!

~Christy @ Love of Books

Gina said...

I keep reading the House of Night series, waiting for it to get better. I don't know how Cast could turn Zoey's character around and make me hate her. It's terrible. Here's my hop:
http://tinyurl.com/3q9zgct
happy reading and have a lovely weekend!

Sara said...

I read the first several house of night books mainly because they were based in Tulsa blocks from where I grew up. However they just got worse and worse and worse as they went along. Zoey is the biggest slut in all of YA

Mimi Valentine said...

Hi, Izzy! :) I'm a new follower for sure, and I think that your blog is absolutely adorable! The colour scheme is almost peaceful and I've always been the kind of girl to watch the clouds x)

I agree with you completely! I read the first House of Night novel on recommendation, but I found that everything was just too predictable and I wasn't the biggest fan of our heroine, Zoey -- which was a big turnoff for me because main characters are always what make the book good or bad.

Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. I haven't read the House of Night series. It seems like the type of books I'd either really love or think is stupid.
My Hop

fakesteph said...

I wasn't all the jazzed about the series either. I was intrigued enough to buy the second book, but it's been sitting on my shelf for about two years so it may have been a premature purchase.

Post a Comment