Rss Feed

Writers and Readers

One thing I've been wondering for a while is just how many readers are also writers. I've always loved to read, and I've been writing regularly since I was about eight. This is true for some of my friends, and true to an extent for others (like they enjoy writing but don't do it "seriously").

I think pretty much all writers are readers, because you have to read to get good at writing. Reading gives you a somewhat intuitive sense of how to organize and plot and express yourself, and then you refine those skills by writing. Of course, not all readers are writers in the sense that they like to sit down and write every day, but a lot of the readers I know are at least very good at writing essays for school and the like.

So I have a question for you guys. I'm assuming you're all readers, but are you also writers? Do you write a lot? Or even if you're not a writer per se, are you good at it or above average?

7 comments:

Jillian said...

What's funny is that most of the book bloggers I know, are usually writers! Closet writers, writers waiting to be published, writers who write for the sake of a hobby... there are so many of types of us out there. But I do think it's interesting.

I think it just comes hand in hand to be honest. A reader is someone who appreciates literature, and these books that we all read definitely help us improve on our own writing. It makes sense doesn't it? :)

We Heart YA said...

We are definitely writers, hehe. 4 of us, all aspiring.

We agree with Jillian that it goes fairly hand-in-hand. At some point, if you love books enough, you probably want to try your hand at creating one.

fakesteph said...

Yup... Definitely goes hand in hand. I love to read, love to write. Even before I actually started sitting down in front of the computer everyday I used to tell a lot of oral stories to other people or stories to myself while driving or working out.

Really interesting post. :)

kaye (paper reader) said...

I love both and I definitely think they go hand in hand, too. One of my goals is to write a book and now that I have my idea I just have to get it done. Step by step!

barmybex said...

I read like crazy and I write a lot too. I have written one book (am trying to get it published) and am working on my second.

I don't get as much time to write as I would like but try to do at least half an hour a day. I ten to catch up on weekends and can spend a good few hours writing on a Sunday. :D

I've actually found that a lot of the bloggers I follow are writers too. Good way of swapping hints and tips and getting proof readers. :P

Melody said...

I've always read a ton. When I was 11, I started writing, but I never took it seriously (with intention to publish) until I was 18...two years ago. As to whether I'm good or not...I hope I am! :)

bravechickens said...

I'm not a writer. I just don't have the patience to sit down and type/write. However I'm always coming up with ideas for potential stories. It's complicated, haha. :D

Post a Comment