Rss Feed

The Fault in Our Stars: Review

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Release Date: January 2012
Published By: Dutton
Pages: 318
Goodreads Rating: 4.67 stars

Review: Hazel has been preparing herself for death from thyroid cancer since the age of 12, but when she was 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumors in her lungs - at least for now. Two years later, her temporarily-longer life span seems worthless when she can't go to school and lives tethered to an oxygen tank. Enter August Waters - gorgeous, in remission, and interested in her. Being with Augustus takes her on a long journey that redefines the very way she looks at life, at least what's left of it.

First of all, it's John Green. Second of all, it's John Green. And third of all, it's John freaking Green. How could it be anything but fantastically blow-your-mind ridiculously awesomely amazing? And yet no matter how high I build my expectations, no matter how many hours pre-publication I spent drooling over the cover and the summary and the vlogs about it, John Green blows me out of the water every single time, and this is no exception.

This book was beautiful in every single possible respect. I laughed and I cried, and I don't throw that phrase around lightly. I actually laughed out loud, laughed in the way of going up to my friends and reading sentences out loud to them. And I cried - oh, man, did I cry. Not just tearing up but actual crying. Harry Potter-scale crying.

As you can imagine, this book was impossible to put down. I read it while walking home from school. I read it on the bus. I read it during (i.e. instead of) lunch. And oh yes, I read it during class. I devoured the entire book in a little over a day, and I loved every moment of it. The whole time I was reading it, real life seemed a bit hazy and surreal because I was so absorbed in the world of Hazel.

All I can say is, you have absolutely no excuse for not reading THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. This is honestly my favorite book of all of John Green's, and that's really saying something. This book tore me up into a thousand little pieces and then put me back together again, and I feel changed for it. I can not recommend this book enough.

4 comments:

hbjgvhuogyihpo said...

Ahh! I want this book so much. All I've heard about this book are good things. Thanks for the great review, you've made me want this book even more!

fakesteph said...

This is my favorite John Green Book and I think my all time favorite book. It's been about two months since I read it (Obviously a little less than that... lol) and I still tear up when I think about scenes, it still crosses my mind every day, and I can't wait to reread it.

We Heart YA said...

Woo hoo! Your review = our thoughts to a T. Also, LOL about your crying scale being relative to Harry Potter.

Ελλάδα said...

The Fault in Our Stars is so amazing. It made me laugh then cry in a matter of seconds. The only books that can make me cry are amazing and well written books. So, all of you should buy this book because it is seriously perfect.

Post a Comment