Rss Feed

Freefall: Review

Title: Freefall
Author: Mindi Scott
Release Date: October 2010
Published By: Simon Pulse
Pages: 315
Goodreads Rating: 3.82 stars

Review: Seth was the last person to see Isaac alive and the first to see him dead. It seemed like just another night where Isaac drank too much and passed out on the lawn, but this time, he didn't wake up, and Seth is convinced that he's to blame. Lost in a cloud of guilt, Seth only finds his self-torture alleviated when he meets Rosetta, beautiful and different. But she has secrets too, and he realizes he may not be the only one who needs saving.

I was expecting a somewhat typical contemporary novel when I opened FREEFALL and instead found myself surprised by the sheer beauty of this writing. Slowly but surely, this book sneaked up on me and got me tangled in its gorgeous words to the point that every time I cracked the covers open, I was immediately lost in Seth and Rosetta's world.

One aspect I really enjoyed about this novel was that it came off as very authentic, both in the narration and the plot. Seth offered an honest guy perspective and definitely did not sound like a woman trying to write as a boy, and rather like his own true person. There were just little details and quirks in his narration here and there that gave off a strong sense of, well, guy-ness, without dissolving into clichés. The plot itself was authentic because it tackled real, true issues and grappled with them in a manner that was both realistic and graceful.

However, I did have some complaints concerning the plot - mainly, not enough was said. Throughout the book, a lot is hinted about what happened with Isaac and Seth, and I was looking forward to a big reveal-all scene, but the details were just trickled out little by little and that was it. I wanted to know more, and instead I got very little. Similarly, I felt like there wasn't enough said about the tragedy that occurred to Rosetta and how it affected her. Like with Isaac, there were little tidbits but simply not enough to satisfy me.

All in all, though, FREEFALL is a gorgeous, un-put-down-able novel that grabbed me from the get-go and never released its grip until the end. From the lovely writing to the sweet romance to even the very narration of the protagonist, Mindi Scott pulls off a book that tackles the hardest issues but comes away beautiful. I only wished that there was more information about certain plot points, but I would still, of course, recommend this novel to anyone who loves contemporary!

3 comments:

fakesteph said...

This book sounds great. I hadn't heard of it before. Thanks for the review.

We Heart YA said...

Hm, good to know about how there's never really a full reveal. Still, we'd like to read this book. We've seen it around and sort of have it on our TBR list, but it's a case of "so many books, so little time," you know? Still, with a gorgeous cover, a guy POV, and contemporary all working in its favor, we know we'll get to it sometime. Thanks for reassuring us that it's a worthwhile read!

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I was so blown away by this novel; I picked it up because it was part of a challenge (as the cover didn't really appeal to me) and loved the writing. I'm definitely a fan of Scott now and can't wait to read more of her work.

Post a Comment