Rss Feed

Masque of the Red Death: Review

Title: Masque of the Red Death
Author: Bethany Griffin
Release Date: April 2012
Published By: Harper Collins
Pages: 320
Goodreads Rating: 4.32 stars

Review: The population has plunged into one remaining city from a devastating plague, and those left alive remain in constant fear of catching it as the city crumbles around them. The privileged, like Araby Worth, live only to forget it all: nights in the Debauchery Club, elegant dresses, glittering make-up, and a tantalizing way to never remember. But one day she meets Will and Elliott, neither of whom is what he seems, and she just may find something to live for - and maybe even fight for.

This novel may seem at first sight to be similar to other apocalyptic novels out there, featuring a plague and a death-ridden world, but it's obvious just a few pages in that no book is comparable to this one. The story is based off of a short work of the same name written by Edgar Allen Poe, and though there were many inventive twists on the original work, MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH was still able to retain the same wonderfully gothic feel.

This riveting novel captures you not just because of its intriguing plot but the writing was well. It seems to be deceptively simple words strung together, but in fact, each sentence reverberates with power and weaves together a dark world easy to get lost in. Once the cover has been lifted, there is no putting it down, and it is near impossible to not be tempted to finish the entire book in one sitting.

MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH is not a novel to be forgotten. From the remarkably powerful writing and gothic tone to the poignant emotional scenes that seize your breath, this book shows a bleak but oddly beautiful future. I would recommend this to anyone, regardless of their preference about dystopian fiction.

4 comments:

Giselle said...

This book sounds seriously awesome! I'm waiting for it in the mail and hoping to get it this week it's gotten great reviews!!

fakesteph said...

This sounds really good. I'm glad you liked it. I'll have to check it out if I ever get through my current reading pile.

Karen L. said...

Aaaahh! I want to read this book so badly. I'm not always a fan of dystopian, but since this one is based on my favorite Poe story, I'm super excited for it. Great review!
Book Light Graveyard

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I am dying to read this book-I adore Poe and have been pleased to see him making almost a comeback in the pop culture world (this, Nevermore, that Poe movie). I just can't wait to receive my copy!

Post a Comment