Rss Feed

One Night that Changes Everything: Review

Synopsis: Eliza is in a full-blown panic. Her notebook has been stolen—the one that lists everything she wants but is afraid to go after. And the absolute worst person in the world has it: her ex-boyfriend, Cooper.

Like it’s not enough Cooper was lying to Eliza for their entire relationship, now he and his friends are blackmailing her. They’re giving her just one night to complete the most humiliating tasks on her list or they’ll post her secrets online—including the ones that aren’t just about her.

Eliza’s sure of only one thing: she isn’t going down without a fight. Cooper may have what’s left of her dignity, but she’s not the only one with something to hide … 


Details: One Night that Changes Everything by Lauren Barnholdt, 288 pages, 3.97 stars on Goodreads

My Thoughts: You know how the first review you read of a book can affect how you think of it? And no matter how many reviews you read after that, you still can't forget that first one? Well, the first review I read for this book was fairly negative. It basically said that the book was okay and could have been better, but wasn't exactly bad. The other reviews I read were somewhere between this-book-is-amazing and this-book-is-pretty-darn-good, but I never forgot that first one and so I was hesitant to read One Night that Changes Everything.

But I read it all the same, and I am so glad I did. This is a wonderfully sweet, feel-good book that isn't without its share of depth. The main characters, Eliza and Cooper, are richly developed individuals, and while the plot may be a tad predictable, I spent the whole book rooting for them to end up together again. Eliza is more or less a typical teenage girl with the usual fears and secret wishes, but she has to face her fears in this book.

How many of you have ever wanted to ask the hottest guy in a club to dance when you were a teenager? (Or if you are now, whatever the case may be.) Or sing karaoke in front of everybody? They're great things to think about, but Eliza had to actually do them. Each situation she ended up in was hilarious and poignant, and I was laughing as I flipped through the pages.


The only thing I didn't like very much were Eliza's so-called friends. As soon as they saw some guy, they ditched her despite the fact that she was going through possibly the craziest night of her life. Friends should stick with you, especially in tough situations, and I didn't find them very well-developed, either.


Overall, this is a fantastic book that I would recommend to anyone looking for something funny and sweet but not shallow. I loved this book a lot more than I expected, and I hope more people pick this one up and read it!


Plot - 4.5/5
Writing - 3/5
Characters - 3/5
Impact - 2/5
Inability to put it down - 3.5/5

Overall - 64% = B

0 comments:

Post a Comment