Rss Feed

The Truth About Forever: Review

Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Macy Queen is looking forward to a long, boring summer. Her boyfriend is going away. She's stuck with a dull-as-dishwater job at the library. And she'll spend all of her free time studying for the SATs or grieving silently with her mother over her father's recent unexpected death. But everything changes when Macy is corralled into helping out at one of her mother's open house events, and she meets the chaotic Wish Catering crew. Before long, Macy joins the Wish team. She loves everything about, the work and the people. But the best thing about Wish is Wes—artistic, insightful, and understanding Wes—who gets Macy to look at life in a whole new way, and really start living it.

Details: The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, 374 pages, 4.29 stars on Goodreads (compare to 4.20 stars for the first Harry Potter book)

My Thoughts: I read this a long time ago and absolutely hated it. But everyone kept telling me how fantastic this book was, so I decided to try it again. I must admit that while I didn't love it nor did I find it extremely memorable, I was pleasantly surprised at it. The Truth About Forever was well-written, with a nice if somewhat cliché plot and much less cliché love interest, Wes. 

There were many things I enjoyed in this book. For instance, the description of Macy's job at the library, what with her coworkers and all, was quite amusing and I hope I never get a job like that! Macy's life is so dull, with her workaholic mom and overachieving boyfriend, that it's easy to understand why the hectic work at Wish Catering would appeal to her. The characters are all interesting and real, with each one fully developed, even the minor characters. 


Some serious issues are dealt with in this book, like Macy's father's death, her struggles with her mom, that kind of thing. However, this is primarily a romance, and I found it to be more of a lighter, feel-good read. The romance itself is sweet, fun, and cute, and develops at a nice pace. I do wish there was a little more kissing - what with all the development, we deserve a little steamy passion, don't we?


All in all, this is a good book to relax with. There wasn't anything I specifically disliked about it, but it wasn't compelling or intriguing or unique enough for me to run around recommending.


Plot - 3/5
Characters - 4/5
Writing - 4/5
Impact - 2/5
Inability to put it down - 2/5

Overall - 60% = B-

7 comments:

brave chickens said...

I've tried reading 'The Truth About Forever' before as well, and couldn't quite get into it.

However, I think your review has convinced me to try reading it one more time :)

Jordyn said...

I absolutely love this book. Strangely though, I found the love interest (much as I love Wes) more cliche than the plot. Have you read any other Dessen books?

Izzy G. said...

Jordyn - Nope, I haven't.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo. I loveeee Sarah Dessen books. They're just so addicting and I always read them whenever I want to read a cute story. My favorite by her is either this, This Lullaby, or Along For the Ride

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

60% is a B-...man, I wish some of my college professors had that same grading scale.

Izzy G. said...

Anne - Haha, well, I use things like 15% as well, and D isn't fitting for this book, so I use a modified grading scale. I don't like the 0-59% is an F while all the other letters are 10% increments.

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

I loved this one, and thought it was a lot more about Macy getting over her father's death, living more, and building relationships as opposed to romance (Wes isn't my fave dessen boy because i thought he was a bit too perfect) oh well, still one of my favourite light reads! Loved the Wish crew.

Post a Comment