Rss Feed

More Spotlight, Please! (3)

This week, I chose something that did get some attention when it released back in October, but I haven't heard of since. I actually had a hard time deciding on a book, because there were so many I could have done, but finally I settled on this one!

Trash by Andy Mulligan.

Why It Needs More Spotlight: Here's the Goodreads synopsis: "Raphael is a dumpsite boy. He spends his days wading through mountains of steaming trash, sifting it, sorting it, breathing it, sleeping next to it. Then one unlucky-lucky day, Raphael's world turns upside down. A small leather bag falls into his hands. It's a bag of clues. It's a bag of hope. It's a bag that will change everything. Soon Raphael and his friends Gardo and Rat are running for their lives. Wanted by the police, it takes all their quick-thinking, fast-talking to stay ahead. As the net tightens, they uncover a dead man's mission to put right a terrible wrong. And now it's three street-boys against the world..."

Doesn't that sound absolutely amazing? I've never read a book about a dumpsite boy, and it sounds so fascinating because you have to wonder why he lives like that. The leather bag he gets is mysterious, and the "dead man's mission to put right a terrible wrong", even more so! Reading the reviews, it looks like this takes place in the Philippines, which I think is excellent because I so rarely read books not set in the US. 

I feel like this book has an amazing amount of potential to be an eye-opening, intriguing read about the uglier sides of reality. I'm excited to get my hands on it, and I hope at least a few of you now are, as well! 

2 comments:

barmybex said...

I work in a library and every year we have a 'Book Day' where we read 6 YA books beforehand, then on the day discuss the books and why we loved/hated them. Then vote for our favourite, the one with the most votes is named 'Book of the Year'.
This year, 'Trash' is on our list and I'm waiting to get my copy. I must admit i wasn't overly enthusiastic about this one, but you make it sound so exciting! I'll send you my review link when i've read it!
Hope you get to read it and enjoy it. :D

Izzy G. said...

That sounds awesome! And I would definitely love to read your review once it's up :)

Post a Comment