Rss Feed

More Spotlight, Please! (4)

This week, I chose a book I've heard almost nothing about, so it's perfect for this feature! Everyone, get ready for...

Say the Word by Jeannine Garsee. According to Goodreads, this one is about a seventeen-year-old girl, Shawna Gallagher, who everyone believes to be perfect. She gets perfect grades, dates perfect boys, and follows each of her dad's rules perfectly. But suddenly, the one imperfect thing about her life comes out again when her estranged lesbian mother passes away. Shawna's anger over being abandoned so many years again rekindles, along with her embarrassment over her other family.

When I first read the synopsis, I thought this would be another book about the "perfect" popular girl who's really not perfect. I don't have anything against books with this sort of theme, it's just that they're often very similar and sometimes seem to try to excuse the protagonist's cruelty. However, this seems to be a lot different. I haven't read many books that deal with homosexuality, and definitely not like this, so this has a lot of potential to be different and original!

I'm quite excited to get my hands on it, and I hope after reading this, at least some of you readers are as well! :) So, let me know what you think of this book! Does it appeal to you or not? Have you ever read it? Do you plan to?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The girl in the foreground is the same cover girl as the girl from North of Beautiful and Evermore!

Izzy G. said...

Oh wow, I didn't even realize that!

Post a Comment